Yesterday we announced in partnership with Innovate UK, Creative Edinburgh and Festivals Edinburgh a new £1 million fund for startups who are interested in digital media innovation. Each project value will be approximately £100,000 to £120,000, with 70% of the funding being provided by Innovate UK. CodeBase will be active in helping applicants find the remaining 30%.
It seemed the dust had only just settled on our last phase of expansion when we began work on the next wing of CodeBase. We took over another 10,000 square feet of Argyle House at the beginning of this year, and building work to renovate has been pushing on for the last month. This expansion will allow three of our key tenants to move into larger areas, as their rapid growth has left them needing the extra space for new hires!
We are delighted to announce our partnership with Capita.
This partnership will allow CodeBase to grow the number of quality startups here, particularly in the enterprise B2B software sector in which Edinburgh excels.
At the beginning of January we took the keys to the mothballed top floor of Argyle House.
After two months of graft we had something resembling a working space for 20 of Edinburgh’s most awesome early stage startups. By summer we had doubled in size, and we are now on our third floor with grand plans for next year.
We recently hosted Django Girls - an introductory programming workshop over two days covering the basics of Django. Becky Smith who worked so hard in organising the class wrote us a roundup to talk a bit more about it:
I first heard about Django Girls at the Europython conference in Berlin in June this year.
On Thursday Iain Masterson, Senior VAT Manager at Chiene and Tait, came by to CodeBase talk to our companies about the impending VAT changes, due to take effect on January 1st.
The talk was a fascinating insight and vital overview of the implications of the changes and what they mean for companies in our building, and others like them, who supply digital services.
Last week we teamed up with Seedcamp to hold the first Mini SeedCamp Edinburgh. We had hundreds of applications from some amazing startups from all over Scotland and further afield into Europe.
Of the nine that pitched we're very proud that four of the companies selected are a part of CodeBase: Bubbal, Coning House, Make it Social and MakeWorks. We also saw pitches from Scottish startups Onyu and Digital Receipts as well as MangoSteam (London), Kollekt.fm (Holland) and Pricelizer (Sweden).