Lead AI Programmer
We are the developers of Kythera, a cutting-edge AI middleware used in games such as the record-breaking Star Citizen and diverse other genres. We’re offering a rare opportunity to join this exciting field in a small, innovative company, open to those without games or AI experience.
You must be a highly skilled and experienced programmer who can demonstrate excellent technical problem-solving, understanding of low-level programming concerns and ability to provide technical leadership.
You will lead a small team with a great reputation in the industry, who combine excellent experience in games development, AI development and academic research. You and your team will work directly with our partners in iterative cycles to understand their requirements, design and build the core AI functionality, interfaces and tools required. Drawing on the AI experience of other members of the team and the requirements of our customers, you will be responsible for the maintenance and development of our architecture in adapting to and anticipating changes in this highly innovative industry.
In continually extending and improving the capabilities of our product, you will continually be pushing the boundaries of expectations in the industry, reflected in our clients’ high profile games. You will also help our technical team to grow, assisting in identifying roles and hiring new developers, to continue to develop truly unique capabilities.
We are a small team taking on big challenges with industry-leading partners, but we keep ourselves grounded in reality. We prefer organic growth rather than rapid expansion. We believe in making promises we are confident we can deliver. We offer every member of the team great trust, responsibility and transparency. You in particular will be working directly with the company directors to help set technical direction for the business.
Act as a guiding hand for the engineering decisions made on our product, help our team to grow and help us build a great company.
- Design core systems in collaboration with experienced AI programmers
- Understand our partners’ requirements and take responsibility for delivering them
- Implement core C++ AI systems
- Communicate directly with clients by email, Skype and occasionally on-site
- Manage the team’s tasks in performing all of the above with you
- Mentor team members and share your own experience
- Review code and provide technical direction to the team
- Help manage and build relationships with industry partners
- Advise the company directors on technical considerations in business direction
- Recruit, interview and hire new team members with support from the directors
- At least 6 years' experience of commercial development, primarily in C/C++
- Good degree in a related subject, e.g. Computer Science, Mathematics or Physics (equivalent to or better than a 2:1 Honours in the UK)
- Excellent C++ or show you can quickly reach our level
- Good knowledge of modern hardware and software architectures and trends
- Excellent written and spoken English language skills
- Good maths skills an advantage
- Experience in a technical leadership role
- Full-time permanent role based in Edinburgh, Scotland
- Start date flexible
Apply with a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org