Ruby / Web Developer
itison is looking for a talented Ruby developer with a strong background in web development.
Based in our headquarters in Glasgow's city-centre, this role will see you working within our four person Development team to improve our existing products and develop new services for our users. The teams' focus is the itison.com e-commerce site and the associated iOS app, which process thousands of transactions every day and help businesses across the UK reach our users, but we also develop a suite of internal tools to help run our company.
You'll work closely with the rest of the team to produce high-quality, tested code for our products and be expected to take ownership of projects from planning through to implementation and launch.
- Develop our internal and external web applications
- Develop new services for our members.
- Provide technical assessments of tools/platforms
- Improve our team processes and workflows
What we're looking for:
- Real-word experience with Ruby/Rails
- Experience working on an e-commerce site or similar
- Experience with GNU/Linux based server administration
- Experience with common stablemates of Rails such as Nginx, MySQL, Unicorn, Redis, etc.
- Ability to efficiently manage your own time and work without close supervision
- Experience with Chef
- Experience with search technologies (e.g. Solr, ElasticSearch, etc)
- An interest in iOS/Android development
- Competitive salary from £32,000+, depending on experience.
- Learning/Conference budget for ongoing training
- Weekly allocation of time towards training
- Private medical
- Regular nights out and social events
- Monthly budget for donating to open source projects.
This is a full-time position working from our head office in Glasgow City centre, but we'd consider remote working where regular in-person catch-ups can be arranged.
itison.com is Scotland’s No. 1 deals and events service with over 700,000 members buying tens of thousands of deals every month. We’re a profitable, bootstrapped company looking to expand significantly over the next 12 months.
The Development team consists of 3 Ruby developers who work on our apps and one DevOp who wrangles our servers. We do stand-ups and use automated testing, but couldn't claim to work to a specific methodology like Agile or XP. We aim for an open, grown-up culture where everyone has an equal voice in discussions and brogrammer is a dirty word.
We score about 10/12 on the Joel test
The Joel Test is a twelve-question measure of the quality of a software team
- Do you use source control? Yes
- Can you make a build in one step? Yes
- Do you make daily builds? Yes
- Do you have a bug database? Yes
- Do you fix bugs before writing new code? We try to
- Do you have an up-to-date schedule? Yes
- Do you have a spec? Yes
- Do programmers have quiet working conditions? Yes
- Do you use the best tools money can buy? Yes
- Do you have testers? No, developers do testing
- Do new candidates write code during their interview? Yes
- Do you do hallway usability testing? Sometimes, but not always.
If you have any questions about the role, or would like to discuss it further before applying, please email gavin.montague<at>itison.com