SENIOR TECHNICAL SUPPORT ENGINEER
RightScale is transforming the way enterprises deliver IT, and we’re looking for smart, hard-working, and collaborative teammates to deliver on that promise by anticipating the needs of our customers and helping them solve challenging problems in the cloud computing space.
The RightScale Services Team is dedicated to supporting our customers and business partners with the highest level of service in managing business-critical applications across public and private clouds and virtualized environments. As a member of the Services Team, the Senior Technical Support Engineer is key to superior RightScale customer service. You are a first responder to our customer’s technical needs and must possess a vast range of knowledge to resolve cloud computing issues throughout each customer’s project development and deployment lifecycle. You will coordinate work across business units to meet the stipulated project milestones and timeline.
Reporting to the RightScale services director, you will support customer issues, resolving or escalating them as needed, and maintain active interaction with other RightScale business units to enhance the service-level quality for the global support operation.
You must be confident both working as an individual and working well as part of a fast-paced team and have experience in managing customers and completing technical deliverables. You are expected to be well-versed in understanding IT systems and network infrastructures and to exercise good judgment and decision-making in all solutions deliverables.
The responsibilities for the senior technical support engineer include the following:
- Maintain technical support best practices, workflows, and compliances for the Services Team and RightScale customers and business partners.
- On-call paging rotation to provide 24/7 emergency technical support.
- Promptly respond to problems and questions within the requirements of the customer’s service level agreement.
- Resolve or escalate customer queries with regard to RightScale products.
- Accurately report and track support tickets through the RightNow ticketing system.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills through all levels of communications including incident/problem management and change, escalation, and recovery management.
- Contribute to the RightScale knowledgebase and other resources to help build the best customer experience.
- Work closely with the team and share learning experiences to ensure that all company and personal goals are met or exceeded.
The ideal candidate has a technical background and experience that includes:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science or related field or equivalent training and professional experience.
- At least two years of technical support services and customer management experience.
- Database architecture, management, and programming
- Basic knowledge in project deployment and management activities.
The ideal candidate has solid technical knowledge in the following:
- Three-tier systems design architecture.
- Linux systems administration for common distributions: CentOS, Ubuntu, SuSE, and RHEL.
- Open Source software installation, configuration, and community support.
- Basic Microsoft Windows Server troubleshooting skills and Web application support (Apache).
- Basic database architecture, configuration, and management (SQL Server and MySQL).
- Basic backup and recovery, redundant, and high-availability design architecture.
- Scripting ability in Bash, Ruby, Python, or Perl.
- Monitoring and networking knowledge of client/server technology.
Some of the perks you’ll enjoy include:
- Competitive salary and benefits package plus stock options.
- Regular social events, including the legendary RightScale Employee Meetup.
- A welcoming, informal, family-style office environment complete with Monday lunches, Tuesday bagels, and snacks.
- Yoga, core workouts, ultimate Frisbee, and beer on tap (Santa Barbara office).
- Friendly football and video games including our favorite, Mario Kart (Edinburgh office).
- The RightScale spirit of innovation and experimentation, including regular hackathons for the entire company as well as weekly iTime (innovation time) for engineers.
- Encouragement and support for professional growth through ongoing learning opportunities both inside and outside RightScale.
Sounds good? Join us and collaborate with extremely talented and passionate colleagues to lead the cloud computing revolution.
RightScale supports diversity in the workplace and encourages women and people from underrepresented groups in software engineering to apply.