PRODUCTION SUPPORT ENGINEER
RightScale is transforming the way enterprises deliver IT, and we’re looking for smart, hard-working, and collaborative teammates to deliver on that promise by anticipating the needs of our customers and helping them solve complex problems.
The Production Support Engineer provides level 3 support for RightScale applications, determining the root causes of issues through analysis of logs, databases and code. You'll work closely with support and engineering personnel to determine solutions and, when appropriate, implement those solutions. In addition, you'll provide guidance to junior level engineers on a variety of different systems and act as a domain expert on a subset of those systems. You have the additional responsibility of designing, enhancing and maintaining the suite of tools used to troubleshoot RightScale applications.
What you’ll do on the job:
- Troubleshoot multi-layered, SOA structured, cloud-based software application in Ruby on Rails framework.
- Organize an ongoing roster of issues, facilitating release of fixes to production when needed.
- Implement bug fixes in code through full life-cycle of software development, including: requirement and risk/benefit analysis, effort estimation, acceptance testing, and implementation.
- Contribute to the current automation to manage daily processes to improve handling customer issues efficiently.
- Demonstrate excellent customer service skills through all levels of communication.
- Contribute to the knowledge base, Wiki and other RightScale resources to help insure that information is disseminated.
- Work closely with team members to ensure all company and personal goals are met or exceeded.
- Participate in periodic on call rotation.
Qualifications and experience we are looking for:
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
- Solid Object Oriented programming experience, knowledge of Ruby a plus.
- Proficiency in Unix-like environment for development, staging and deployment of software.
- Intermediate experience in administering Linux systems including command line and analyzing log files.
- Knowledge of SQL database systems.
- Experienced in model-view-controller web frameworks, Ruby-on-Rails a definite plus.
- Ability to mentor junior team members.
- Passion for cloud computing and deploying internet services on a large scale.
Some perks of working at RightScale:
- Work in a casual office environment complete with yoga, Monday lunches, stocked snacks, and beer on tap.
- Competitive salary and benefits package plus stock options.
- Regular social events, including the legendary RightScale Employee Meetup.
- A welcoming, informal, family-style office environment complete with Monday lunches, Tuesday bagels, and snacks.
- Yoga, core workouts, ultimate Frisbee, and beer on tap (Santa Barbara office).
- Friendly football and video games including our favorite, Mario Kart (Edinburgh office).
- The RightScale spirit of innovation and experimentation, including regular hackathons for the entire company as well as weekly iTime (innovation time) for engineers.
- Encouragement and support for professional growth through ongoing learning opportunities both inside and outside RightScale.
Sound good? Join us and collaborate with extremely talented and passionate colleagues to lead the IT revolution.
RightScale supports diversity in the workplace and encourages women and people from underrepresented groups in software engineering to apply.