Software Development Instructors
Salary range: £30,000 - £40,000 + 5% pension
Due to rapid expansion we're looking for enthusiastic and passionate coding professionals to join our talented team and help create the next generation of software developers. Our roles are mainly full time but there are also part time and contract opportunities available for the right skill set.
Who are we?
We’re CodeClan, Scotland’s foremost digital skills academy, launched in October 2015 to help bridge the skills gap in technology skills. We are backed by Skills Development Scotland and are accredited by the Scottish Qualifications Authority. We provide a range of technical courses, the flagship of which is the Professional Software Development course. This is a 16-week, immersive course which turns talented people with little or no coding experience into entry-level software developers ready for employment.
We also run an increasingly wide range of shorter and part-time courses in areas such as Web Application Development, Front End Development, iOS, Python and UX.
We work closely with a rapidly growing and active network of employers to find roles for our students. We are pleased to be placing around 90% of students into employment within 6 months of them completing the course. We currently have centres in both Edinburgh and Glasgow and have ambitious plans to offer courses in multiple other locations around Scotland.
We are passionate about bringing new talent into the world of software development and about filling the skills gap in the technology sector. Our students want to learn new skills in order to change career or improve their existing career through enhancing their skills. They’re enthusiastic about learning and demand instructors who are equally passionate about tech and can bring that enthusiasm to the classroom.
What will it feel like to be an instructor at CodeClan?
You’ll be working with an enthusiastic team of instructors to teach students using a range of different methods, all within a collaborative, mentored and supportive environment. The way we teach is unlike more traditional approaches and is highly practical, hands-on and very immersive. The quality of what we teach depends on the passion,skill and experience of our instructors. Understanding coding as a craft is front and centre of our courses with a strong emphasis on Object Oriented Programming, Test Driven Development and Agile methods. We need experienced professionals who can bring coding to life and relate what the students are learning to your own, real-world development experiences.
We take a team approach so there will be a group of instructors in the classroom supporting each other as well as the students.
There is no typical day, but the sorts of things you will be involved with include:
- Being part of the team within a specific cohort, teaching and supporting the students to help them develop their skills and be prepared for their new career
- Refining the curriculum and teaching materials, helping to shape what we teach based on your own knowledge of what is going on in the industry
- Continuing to develop your own skills and bring those skills into the classroom
- Helping our Admissions and Marketing teams with events to promote our courses to new students
- Working with people from other areas of the business such as Student Support to help give our students the best experience to support their learning
- Coming up with ideas to help improve the quality and content of what we deliver to our students and employer partners
What skills do you need?
We’re looking for people with a strong sense of teamwork and collaborative working. You don't need to have taught before - you'll get training and lots of support from the existing instructor team. But if you’ve mentored or coached before, that’s great.
What will you get in return?
We have an engaging and vibrant culture where everyone is encouraged to contribute to the business direction and to learn new skills.
- A development programme to get up to speed with delivering in the classroom
- Support to achieve the Award in Education and Training (AET)
- Open, collaborative working environment
- Opportunities to help shape the curriculum, introduce innovative teaching materials, develop new courses and deliver courses/classes in your own specialist areas
- Mentoring from a senior member of the team
- Strong links to the tech community including CodeBase and access to a wide range of meet-ups and events
- Playing a key part in the growth of the Scottish digital sector!
If you think that this might be for you, drop us a note telling us why you’d like this opportunity, along with your CV, to email@example.com. Our students come from a diverse range of backgrounds and we want our team to reflect that diversity.