At Aquila Insight we have built a great team to deliver outstanding results for our clients. A strong ethos and values that drive sustainable growth are essential to how we do business. When faced with difficult decisions and new challenges, it means our people won’t just go after the money. We stick to our own high standards and do business in a way that makes Aquila Insight a great place to work.
We’re looking for a Quality Assurance (QA) Engineer to join our Engineering team to work on Discovery, Aquila’s applications and analytics platform. You’ll be refining our existing automated testing capabilities and creating new functionality and tests.
Role and Responsibilities
As a QA Engineer you will be responsible for all automated testing and quality assurance activities concerning our Discovery platform and its applications. That means all the engineering and all the operations of Aquila’s automated test architectures and tools.
You will need:
- Expertise in Spring/Selenium base Java framework for testing and you’ll need some knowledge of Scala as it’s our application development language.
- Prior experience working in a Scrum and Kanban environment.
- Knowledge and experience with n-tier architecture, databases and SQL.
- The ability to work in cross-functional environments including business management, customer support and engineering teams.
- The ability to deliver results on multiple projects.
- The ability to generate creative and innovative solutions for complex architectural problems.
- Write well-structured, beautiful, clean and expert code and follow our coding standards.
- Care about your craft, stay up-to-date on modern technologies and be keen to review and explore them when appropriate.
- Have experience of API testing.
- Inspecting unit test coverage and quality, advising on approaches, potentially even rolling up your sleeves up and getting stuck in to help the team keep essential UI tests working. during development phases.
- Feed your opinions, backed by data and investigation, to our design forum and our wider team.
- Be an active contributing part of an agile team.
- Define your career path and be given the opportunity to grow and learn.
You must be skilled and expert in:
- Java and the associated stable of automated testing tools, specifically Selenium, Nexus, Jenkins, Cucumber and Gherkin.
- Continuous integration and devops – as we’re a small team and we move quickly, we expect everyone to be able to prepare and tag a release, then run a full deployment.
- Application, data and service architectures.
- Relational (PostgreSQL, Citus) and some experience of non-relational databases (Elastic, MongoDB).
Technologies we’re using that you will be expected to use too:
- Java for testing, Scala for application development.
- PHP experience is desirable to help support our deprecated legacy applications.
- Ubuntu server, shell scripting.
- Docker, Docker Compose and Jenkins.
- One or more ETL tools (we use Pentaho Data Integration).
- AWS services including EC2, S3 and EMR/Spark/Hadoop/Hive, Zeppelin, CloudWatch, Elasticsearch.
- Bitbucket, Docker Hub and JIRA.
As member of Engineering, you will benefit from:
- Competitive salary dependent on experience.
- 28 day’s holiday plus bank holidays and your birthday off.
- Eligibility for company pension scheme, company life assurance scheme, healthcare cover, bike scheme, discretionary annual bonus and share option scheme.
- Your choice of Linux, MacOS or Windows 10 laptop.