Java Software Engineer
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business in the space industry. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Java Software Engineer to join our team developing the next generation of spacecraft ground software and software tools.
As a key member of our team you would be responsible for helping developing elements of our spacecraft ground control software suite but also there are opportunities for working with the European Space Agency to develop their Open Source software suite.
The primary implementation language is Java, although a working knowledge of Python and/or other scripting languages would be useful as these are also used in our tooling.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
• Good Java skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment
• A good understanding of Java concurrency concepts and constructs
• Development and debugging of high quality code and adherence to best coding
• Broad working experience; ranging from user interface to database optimization
• Ability to work in a Linux environment using a range of standard development tools
We're looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We're especially looking for someone who:
• Enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract
• Works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external,
customer facing, interactions
• Is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working
Desirable technical skills
The following skills would definitely be a bonus:
• Knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic
• Experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to documentation according to a specified development process
• Experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and
• Experience of model-based and/or component-based software engineering
• Experience with a range of development environments, frameworks or libraries such as
Java EE, Spring, network programming/messaging, persistence etc.
• Experience with databases, either RDBMS or NoSQL
• Apache Maven
• Use of version control systems such as mercurial, git and SVN
• Agile software development
• Software development and test automation, including continuous integration
About the job
We're ideally looking to employ someone full time, although this is negotiable. Salary will be in the range of £20k-£40k+, depending on experience, with 30 days of holiday per annum and a 6% employer's pension contribution. We have offices in Edinburgh and Dundee and this role could be filled in either location, although a certain amount of inter-site travel may be required.
All applicants should have the right to work in the UK. As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 20% of our business.
We are a young, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably.
Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to being an employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success.
Read more: www.brightascension.com
Contact us: email@example.com