Spacecraft Software Engineer
This is a fantastic opportunity to join a growing, innovative, employee-centred business in the space industry. We are looking for an experienced and motivated Spacecraft Software Engineer to join our team developing the next generation of spacecraft flight software and software tools.
As a key member of our R&D team you would be responsible for developing elements of our spacecraft flight software, especially those involved in data handling, communications, automation and guidance, navigation and control (GNC). The primary implementation language is C, although a working knowledge of Python and/or Java would be useful as these languages are also used in our tooling. A crucial part of the role is the analysis and generation of software requirements based on mission requirements and operational concepts (ConOps); for this reason space systems knowledge and/or experience in the space industry could be important.
Essential technical skills
We see the following as essential to the job:
• Strong C skills, ideally demonstrated in a commercial environment
• Knowledge of, or exposure to, space systems in either a commercial or academic context
• Development and debugging of quality code and adherence to best coding practices
• Experience in planning and executing all stages of software engineering, from design to
documentation according to a specified development process
• Experience in performing requirements analysis and elicitation based on formal and informal inputs
• Strong understanding of concurrent programming constructs
• Ability to work in a Linux environment using a range of standard development tools
We're looking for a dynamic and motivated engineer to join our team. We're especially looking for someone who:
• Enjoys problems solving and balancing the pragmatic and practical with the abstract
• Works well both independently and in a team as part of a fast-paced technical
• Possess strong verbal and written communication skills, both for internal and external,
customer facing, interactions
• Is interested in learning new skills and is open to new ideas and ways of working
Desirable technical skills
The following skills would definitely be a bonus:
• Experience of model-based and/or component-based software engineering
• Experience with a range of development environments, frameworks or libraries
• Use of version control systems such as mercurial, git and SVN
• Experience developing embedded/real time software
• Agile software development
• Software product/quality assurance, especially ECSS-E-ST-40C, DO-178B/C
• Software development and test automation, including continuous integration
About the job
We're ideally looking to employ someone full time, although this is negotiable. Salary will be in the range of £30k-£40k+, depending on experience, with 30 days of holiday per annum and a 6% employer's pension contribution. We have offices in Edinburgh and Dundee and this role could be filled in either location, although a certain amount of inter-site travel may be required.
All applicants should have the right to work in the UK. As a member of the Bright Ascension team you would have a stake in the business through our Employee Benefit Trust which owns 20% of our business.
We are a young, innovative company changing the way that software is developed in the space industry. With customers across the world, ranging from universities and space agencies, to commercial organisations and start-ups, our core technologies enable our customers to develop and operate space-based systems and services faster, cheaper and more reliably.
Innovation is at the heart of what we do and it is our team which drives that innovation; this is reflected in our commitment to employee ownership, which gives all of us a voice, and a stake, in our current and future success.
Read more: www.brightascension.com
Contact us: firstname.lastname@example.org