Engineering Edinburgh, United Kingdom
FanDuel is the market leader in North America for daily fantasy sports. Our fantasy sports engine already handles more than 4 million entries a week, with over 125,000 entries per hour at peak periods in the week. We have more than tripled in size in the last 12 months and expect to continue growing at the same rate. To support this we are building a new highly scalable bespoke Java game platform, a cutting edge mobile first web application and an API for use in mobile apps and 3rd party applications.
We host all of this on Amazon Web Services using automated configuration management tools, and Amazon’s awesome scaling technology.
Our rapidly growing team features a diverse range of skills and from generalist to specialist but one thing our team does have in common is a broad understanding of how our system works and hangs together. Our developers work over a wide range of projects and have overall accountability for the success of the platform, and as such, take an active role in collaboration on a variety of requirements.
We are looking for passionate technologists and the ideal candidates will possess excellent communication skills, have the confidence to propose pragmatic solutions to complex problems, make decisions with minimal direction and be eager to learn from and educate others.
Working within operations you will help build and deploy our system infrastructure to meet the challenging elastic scale requirements of our platform.
There are various responsibilities in this team, including:
- Build, deploy, manage and maintain systems on cloud services
- Guide application deployment as an active member of the development team
- Work within development scrums to provide operational consultancy on infrastructure
- Recommend technology optimisations and process improvements
- Drive infrastructure automation
- Provide the design and implementation for operation oriented projects
- Maintain quality documentation of infrastructure and escalation procedures
- Technical ownership for a large server estate in a cloud focussed environment, preferably AWS
- Service monitoring and metrics gathering experience eg Nagios, Munin, Graphite etc
- Maintaining the consistency of our systems performance through use of effective configuration management tools eg Chef or Puppet
- Linux systems administration and networking
- producing well-documented, maintainable scripts in Python, Ruby or similar
- Documenting and defining requirements for systems
Nice to haves:
- Securing PCI compliant or similar financially sensitive servers
- MySql and/or PostgreSQL configuration, replication, sharding and high availability setup
- Complex clustered data solutions, eg Hadoop based or other large NoSQL deployments
- Redis configuration and high availability setup
- Continuous deployment and management of Java and Python/Django systems
- Network security, PenTesting and system hardening
Why work at FanDuel?
- Create a fun product with a fanatical user base
- Revolutionise a big industry in a fast-growing, well-funded, dynamic company
- Collaborate with extremely talented and passionate colleagues
- We invest in our team and adapt to fulfill personal development goals, learning new skills and educating others.
- Enjoy a fun office environment (social sports, team dinners and drinks) in a great location with opportunities to travel to our US office in New York.
- We offer great salaries, benefits packages, stock options, flexible working hours and regular social events
- You do not need to be a sports fan or have a background in games—your skillset and passion is what counts!