Velocity is a small team of highly talented, committed and well organised people working together in the pursuit of excellence in Shopper Engagement. Shoppers now have the highest expectations when it comes to receiving personalised offers and content, where they want them, whenever they want them and on what device. The volume of research that proves how shoppers like to use mobile while in-store, and how in-store solutions such as proximity technology can help drive the number of items purchased is so overwhelming that it can now be taken as fact. Customers expect to be able to find and buy the things they want quickly and easily. And they expect better access to information about offers, promotions and coupons.
Darius™ is Velocity Worldwide’s shopper engagement platform that allows clients to design, manage, develop and, crucially, measure interactions with their customers all along the shopper journey – right the way from “just checking it out”, to check-out.
This role will provide technical leadership in development of the Darius™ shopper engagement platform.
This will involve development and ongoing maintenance of the platform including designing and implementing new features, issue diagnosis and resolution, contributing to technical planning and strategy across the engineering team and mentoring less experienced Software Engineers.
Core development including design, development and testing as well as producing technical documentation. Ensure correct day to day operation of live service deployments by analysing and fixing faults.
Provide technical leadership in the team by illustrating engineering best practices, participating in code reviews, mentoring less experienced Software Engineers.
Working with the Scrum Master to break development tasks down into smaller units of work for assignment to engineers.
Analyse emerging technologies and standards in area of expertise; maintain a technology and standards watch in designated area(s) of expertise. Advise and provide recommendations on adoption, use and best practice.
The above is not an exhaustive list of duties and the role requirements will be reviewed regularly to ensure that the role is delivering what’s required to meet company and client objectives.
Planning and Organising
The post-holder is expected to prioritise their work stack, in consultation with other senior members of the team, if needed. Some issues that may be worked on could be urgent given the need to operate a live service with minimal downtime.
The post-holder will also be required to track all issue requests and code changes.
A degree of initiative and planning is required in order to meet agreed project milestones and deliverables, with overall direction and supervision provided by the Director of Software Engineering.
Well-developed skills in problem solving are a key aspect of this role. The post holder may be required to quickly determine if a support query is a bug, reproduce it and then devise a solution to correct the issue effectively and without introducing any regressions to the existing platform.
The post holder will also be required to design the implementation of new features and implement the agreed solution.
Knowledge, Skills and Experience Needed
- Good honours degree in Computer Science (or related subject) - Essential.
- Significant hands-on experience in the web, internet and technologies used at Velocity Worldwide. - Essential.
- 8 or more years programming experience. - Essential.
- Experience acting as a technical team lead and managing less experienced Engineers - Desirable.
Knowledge, Skills, Competencies
- Significant programming experience in an object orientated programming language e.g. Python, Java, Objective C. - Essential
- Knowledge and experience of Object Orientated methodologies. - Essential
- Knowledge and experience of developing on/for a Linux based OS - Essential
- Knowledge and experience in testing code e.g. Python unittest, Junit - Essential
- Knowledge and experience using at least one database technology either relational or non-relational - Essential
- Knowledge and experience in using an enterprise search solution e.g. Solr, Elasticsearch - Desirable
- Knowledge and experience in writing Unix Shell scripts - Essential
- Knowledge and experience using source control system e.g. Git, SVN. - Essential
- Knowledge and experience using web frameworks e.g. Django, Grails. - Essential
- Ability to work under own initiative and as part of a team. - Essential
- Excellent communication skills. - Essential
- Excellent team working skills. - Essential
- Excellent planning skills. - Essential
- Enthusiasm for technology. - Essential
- Excellent problem solving skills. - Essential
The designated office for this post is listed on the opening page. There may be times however that travel is required to other Velocity Worldwide offices or client locations.
Eligibility to Work
In accordance with the Immigration, Asylum and Nationality Act 2006, Velocity Worldwide, as an employer, has a legal responsibility to prevent illegal working and therefore must check that all employees are entitled to work in the United Kingdom (UK).
To do so, Velocity Worldwide requires to see original documents evidencing right to work in the UK before commencement of employment and this is normally carried out at interview. Details will be provided in any letter of invitation to interview.
Please submit your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org