We’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer to join our expanding team to help build slick, smart web applications for our clients. At Aquila Insight we have built a world-class team to deliver outstanding results for our clients. A strong ethos and values that drive sustainable growth are essential to how we do business. When faced with difficult decisions and new challenges, it means our people won’t just go after the money. We stick to our own high standards, and do business in a way that makes Aquila Insight a great place to work.
We reviewed our analytics and modelling capabilities in 2014, concluding that an existing proprietary, manual and static set-up needed to migrate to an open-source, tightly automated, dynamic & strategic solution we call Discovery.
The Discovery Data Management Platform continues to evolve. Our main areas of focus and investment in 2016 and 2017 are:
- Extending our web applications to cover more predictive and prescriptive functionality.
- Refactoring certain models to operate on distributed computing platforms.
- Adding new functionality and components to link model outputs to a broader range of interaction channels
- Creating connectors to additional external data sources and adding to our utility datasets.
- Discovery is the brainchild of Engineering Solutions, a 10-strong team of developers and engineers based at Aquila’s Edinburgh HQ.
The Engineering Solutions Clan consists of three teams – Development, Testing and DevOps. Development and Testing are managed by our Head of Application Development while DevOps is overseen by our Chief Architect. Product management is the domain of our dedicated Product Manager and the Engineering Solutions Clan reports directly into Aquila Insight’s board via our CEO, Warwick Beresford-Jones.
Role and Responsibilities
- Write well-structured, beautiful, clean code.
- Assist in designing systems and applications.
- Design and develop smart ways of storing, retrieving and presenting complex data.
- Support our automated testing team to test the quality of your code.
- Care about your craft, be aware of new technologies and be keen to review and explore them when appropriate.
- Feed your opinions, backed by data and investigation, to our design forum and our wider team.
To be a successful Software Engineer you will have the following skills and experience:
- Experienced with build tools like Bower and Gulp and CSS pre-processors like LESS
- Data store design; SQL programming.
- Experience working with RESTful and real-time APIs.
- Microservice design and development; when they should be used and when not; JSON and XML for message exchange.
- Knowledge of event-driven architecture and queueing services.
- Experience of a continuous deployment environment, with source control and managed releases.
- Thorough understanding of cross-browser and cross-device interoperability and feature support.
- Technologies that you will be expected to use:
- Bitbucket, JIRA
- Ubuntu server, basic shell scripting
- Skills in Pentaho Data Integration are desirable.
We look for people who demonstrate Aquila’s values
Push when others hesitate, find the problem and fix it. Look ahead, anticipating barriers and share your solutions to be our client’s secret weapon.
Consider opinions but voice your point of view, shoulder responsibility yet allow others to help.
Keep searching for the next big thing, find new ways of working, lead the action and shape your future.
Be the difference
Take the desired outcome and create the best solution to be our client’s hidden advantage.
As member of Engineering, you will benefit from:
- Competitive salary;
- 28 day’s holiday plus bank holidays
- Your birthday off
- Eligibility for company pension scheme
- Company life assurance scheme
- Discretionary annual bonus
- Excellent work life balance
- Employee of the month reward scheme
- Childcare vouchers and fruit to the office.