Senior Back End Developer
Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh
Salary: £48,000.00 to £50,000.00 /year
Criton is the first DIY app builder for the hospitality industry and the web-based CMS allows property owners, ranging from single vacation rental owners to big hotel chain owners to build their own mobile apps. We are aiming to become the leading aggregator of guest facing technology within the hospitality sector, across the globe. The team has already built a great product with our clients being able to build their own app but now the goal is to transform our app building product into something that can integrate seamlessly with hotels/serviced apartments and their current systems. Criton is growing extremely quickly, initially a team of 2, we are now a team of 21, with the development team sitting at 9 people. The team all come from very diverse backgrounds, experience and sectors including retail, property, exhibitions, tourism and the arts.
New colleagues joined this month and we look to be up to 30 staff by the end of this year. We are based in Codebase, Edinburgh's best known tech incubator and offer a relaxed and trusting culture in collaborative working environment. You will get to build a bespoke app building tool, backed by our recent £5 million pound investment. Here at Criton we are offering industry standard salaries (not start up salaries) with benefits including Perkbox, salary sacrifice for holidays or child care vouchers etc. Pension with People's pension, free tea and coffee, regular staff events, flexible working. We really want people to be invested and be part of the journey, your ideas will be listened to, taken on board and implemented into the projects, giving you a sense of ownership and achievement.
You will be part of the CMS (content management system) Squad, a small and dynamic cross-functional team, fully responsible for the development, testing and maintenance of the web-based CMS. You will be involved in incrementally rebuilding the Criton platform, working on large integration (working with 3rd party API’s) projects and learning with the team on a daily basis.
Our tech stack for the back end consists of:
- Python frameworks (e.g. Flask, Django)
- Database technologies - MySQL, PostgreSQL, ORMs (SQLAlchemy)
We would also be looking for someone with experience of:
- RESTful APIs - design, implementation and documentation
- Familiarity with app publishing processes (App Store and Google Play Store)
- Experience with CI/CD tools (experience with Fastlane is a big plus!)
- Writing automated tests, Test-driven development
- Version control - Git, Bitbucket or Github
Experience in a similar back-end software development role is essential.
Other desirable technical experience/skills includes:
- Computer security
- Proactive and versatile
- Ability to work collaboratively with the rest of the product development team to discuss and define requirements
- Willingness to take ownership and be accountable for one’s work
- Ability and willingness to continuously keep up-to-date with latest technologies and rapidly learn innovative technologies
- Strive for engineering excellence – write scalable, maintainable, efficient, and beautiful code
If you are interested in working for a start up where you will have a large say in the direction of the project and product, this is the role for you. Please also consider that you may not need to tick all the boxes on experience. If you feel you match aspects of the role and could pick up the rest quickly then please consider applying. If would like to apply please write stating why the role is of interest, any notice period and with your salary expectations and your CV.