We are a world class engineering firm that excels in merging the virtual and real worlds. To effectively deliver these technical advances, we are a team of multidisciplinary engineers and scientists. Though each of our engineers has an area of interest and expertise, the whole team works together across sectors and services – even our MD occasionally goes up a wind turbine! Due to exciting new projects, we are growing the team.
You are a versatile project engineer a with at least a few years’ experience in the application of mathematical principles to either field and/or desk-based activities. (Our MD is a firm believer in first-hand experiences, see above).
Based primarily in CodeBase (the UK’s largest Tech incubator) as part of our technical team you will help to: identify, design and carry out measurement methodologies; post process and analyse real world observations; and use these to calibrate models, and identify design improvements, solutions and optimisations for our clients’ products. On top of our field and measurement work we use multiphysics simulation as one of our key tools. Though you may not be a mathematical modeller, some understanding of how simulation can be used could be an advantage, as your role will dovetail with this function of the technical team. Finally, we work extensively to international mechanical engineering, health and planning standards (some of the team even help to develop these standards).
You will need to have the ability to understand and adhere to scientific standards as well as review technical writing. As findings are presented to clients via written reports and presentations, strong communications skills are a must. Occasional field work in sometimes challenging conditions will be required.
While we would not expect you to have worked on all of the project types and have all of the experience listed, you will be working on projects that involve elements of each. Please ensure that your application highlights how your experience ties back to the skills below. An openness to collaboration and some training on these types of projects is key to the role and the company.
Examples of projects for this role:
· Experimental data capture
· Design and implementation of measurement campaigns
· Post Processing, Data Analysis and interpretation of results
· Environmental planning & standards
· Data preparation for input into finite element computational modelling
· Work with Modelling team to design measurements that will feed simulation calibration
Technical Experience and Skills
· Familiar with experimental data capture techniques utilising electronic sensors, data acquisition (DAQ)
· Conduct field surveys to collect vibration and acoustic data
· Signal processing utilising and including algorithm design/development to investigate acoustic and vibration characteristics
· Ability to interpret CAD/technical drawings
· Generation and review of Environmental Impact Assessments and Statements
· Structural and acoustic computational modelling to develop test environments.
· Ability to recreate geometry for computational modelling based on technical drawings
· Ability to produce technical drawing with CAD software
· Experience of practical “Hands on” Skills (Machinery mechanics, Electronics, Soldering, etc)
· Software capabilities: Familiar with MATLAB, LabVIEW (or similar, ie Python) COMSOL Multiphysics (or similar, ie ANSYS), SolidWorks (or similar, ie, Solid Edge, Pro Engineer)
· Sound technical knowledge in engineering
· Good written English and ability to write concise technical documents
· Familiarity with acoustics desirable and numerical modelling desirable
· Project Management, cost and time management
Business Experience and Skills
· Awareness of method statements and risk assessments when planning experimental procedures, data analysis in line with relevant standards and regulations
· Adherence to relevant industry and health and safety standards and regulations, compliance with Quality Management Systems
Reporting and Presentation Skills:
· Results are required to be reported directly to clients and therefore good written communication skills are essential
· Ability to present technical results clearly to non-specialist professionals and clients
· Presentation of results at conferences, in both academic and professional environments
· Diligent review of technical writing and calculations
· Attend networking events to build client relations
· Liaise with prospective clients to identify future opportunities
· Draft proposals and design project packages to meet client requirements
· Maintain relationships with clients following project completion
· Work closely with the marketing and business development teams to produce content and carry out follow up actions from their activities
· Bachelors, Masters or PhD degree in Engineering or relevant STEM subject
· A full valid driver’s licence
· A valid passport and right to work in the UK
XI Engineering Consultants Offering
· Challenging engineering problems in designing state of the art solutions and environmental engineering challenges across a range of industries
· Highly creative and qualified team of fellow engineers and mathematicians
· Friendly and interesting working environment in central Edinburgh
· Competitive salary, DOE
How to apply ?
Please apply by 5PM Monday 9th of September 2019 to email@example.com with a covering letter* and CV (please note – your application may not be considered if you do not include a covering letter or email) For more information please contact Rebecca Horton, Operations Director